"Don't Be Ashamed Of Your Story - It Will Inspire Others."

Monday, January 2, 2017

Glue

Gluten (from Latin for "glue") is a mixture of proteins found in wheat, barley, rye, some oats. It is truly like glue for baked goods. It holds the final product together, keeps the product from being crumbly, and gives the product it's airy texture and elasticity. Without gluten, it is exponentially harder to make baked goods that taste good, aren't as dense as a rock, don’t have double the calories, and don't crumble into a million pieces.



Gluten has recently become my biggest fear. The daily activity of eating used to be one of the highlights of my day. Currently I consider it a chore and one I dread. I’m confident it’ll get easier as time passes. Today, I am too scared to dine out. Not only do I have to explain to the staff what gluten is, but also how to avoid cross contamination. So far the majority of my dining out experiences have resulted with “gluten flu” as I call it. It’ll get easier. Right?


2 comments:

  1. Download the app Find Me Gluten Free (at least on iPhone but sure there's a version for android. It works fairly well. Problem is, sometimes a restaurant is listed GF but it's just a hamburger without the bun, etc. just read the reviews for each restaurant. They'll say in this app if celiac friendly. Also, when you are in town, there's an awesome bakery on Campbell Station Rd that is ALL GF and they are amazing. Thursday is my favorite day (focaccia bread day) but they always have pastries and even sandwiches, soups that will make your heart happy. Yes people, the struggle is real (but it is getting easier as it's recognized as a true allergy). Hang in there Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janie! I just downloaded it and look forward to using it. So far I've been having issues with cross contamination even when I order items marked GF and inform my wait staff. I look forward to visiting that bakery next time I visit!

    ReplyDelete